Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Overview; or, What is this thing there, and what does it do?

What follows will be an overview of my setup and my cockpit.
My cockpit is about five feet tall and about six feet long.  It's frame is made of PVC pipe, it's desk, floor and roof are made of plywood.  The walls are made from a different sort of plywood called luan.  It's what they use to make the doors for the rooms of your house.  It's painted black with silver accents on the inside, the desk is braced with 2x4s and it's carpeted.  Inside it sits my captain's chair, made out of an old desk chair, some scrap plywood and some more PVC pipes.  It, too, is black.





Also inside my cockpit lives my computer.  I built her about two years ago, and she's called Mordhaus (my netbook is called Klokateer.  I'm a huge Dethklok fan, you see).  She's an Intel Core 2 Duo running at stock 3ghz with 4 gigs of ram and about 1.1 terabytes of hard drive space (calculated at ACTUAL space, not the lies that the manufacturers give when trying to sell you a product.  1000 gigs is NOT a terabyte, damnit!).  She's also got an ATI Radeon 4870 with half a gig of ram inside her.  I run Windows 7 x64 on her.  When I built her, she was the tits.  Sadly, I might soon need to replace her.  At the very least, I should replace her processor and motherboard.  And upgrade her ram.  But if I'm going that far, I might as well build an entire replacement and use her for something else.  A fileserver perhaps.  Or a media center.  Or a guest computer that my friends can use to try and beat me at some videogame.  But I digress.

I play my games with an original, blue lit, 18-G-Key-having, monochrome-LCD-display-possessing G15 keyboard and an old $15 Dynex optical USB mouse.  Having owned one of the "higher quality" and much more expensive "gaming" mice, I've seen absolutely no difference in performance.  For more intense games, such as flight and space sims, I use my Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle and my Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.  I hear the sounds of battle through my $25 2.0 Logitech speakers and view it all on my grand $400 Hans-G HG281D.  That's a 28" LCD monitor, if you didn't know.  Sadly, the HDMI port was damaged beyond use in a recent move, and I now have to use an old monitor cable to view it's awesome, native 1200p.  Yes, that is 120 more p than you have in your awesome TV.  If I were to rebuild my computer, Mordhaus, at today's prices, it would cost less than my monitor does.  And yes, I know I'm being a cocky little prick right now.  I can't help it if I have pride in my hardware. 

I've got a fully enclosed and self contained 5'x6' computer room/cockpit, a monitor bigger than yours, a computer that is very likely more powerful than yours, full control of whatever craft I choose to pilot in whatever game I choose to pilot it in, and near total immersion.  But I don't have air conditioning.  Nor do I have any more drink to fuel this alcohol and testosterone powered post.  So I bid you adieu.

This is Captain Renic, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment